Sunday, March 29, 2009

Three Nasty Dudes

I've gone on a little bit of a painting binge with thug/bandit/assassin style minis. I'm trying to build up specific groups of minis to use in my D&D games, and I don't have many thug/bandit types. Here's my first efforts to fix that:

From Miniatures


This is a Reaper mini, painted rather quickly. I went with a green cloak mainly so I can easily tell him apart from my other cloaked thug minis. Not the best paint job, but adequate for table top use.

From Miniatures


This mini is from Paizo. It's a nice sculpt, easy to paint and in a good pose. I like quite a few of the figures they've produced. Once again, the photo looked fine in the camera's view finder but came out blurry when I imported it.

From Miniatures


I painted this Reaper mini to represent Obmi, a recurring Greyhawk villain who has shown up in my Temple of Elemental Evil campaign. I really like how he came out, even if it only took me a couple hours to paint him. The figure was dead simple to paint, my favorite kind!

3 comments:

  1. I'm kinda surprised you're not hitting the D&D random minis more for the thugs. With some of the commons, even from the Harbringer set, they're quite affordable. I have tht first 'thug'. He's quite large while that last Reaper one is almost 'true' 25mm as he's a runt compared to some of the Warhammer figs. Great stuff Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love plastic minis, but I'm old school enough that I love the heft and feel of a painted metal mini. My goal is to fill in enough different "tribes" (orcs, goblins, thugs, etc.) that I can use mostly metal minis when I run games at home.

    Yeah, it's crazy, but I wanted a minis library like that when I first started playing D&D, and I've been in the hobby long enough that I could actually make that happen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing crazy about that at all. I just like the ability to plunk down ten bandits with a few metal leaders. 4e calls for more figures than probably any other edition before it. Although my memory of 1st and 2nd edition recalls some huge numbers of orcs and other 'minion' level fodder where fighters actually got one attack per level or some such against them.

    ReplyDelete